Peter Carlsson is one of Sweden’s most loved artists. An amazing storyteller, guitarist and songwriter with a voice that really grabs hold of the listener. Here is the new record with Peter together with Kjell Gustavsson R&B Orchestra. The members of Kjell Gustavsson R&B Orchestra are: Kjell Gustavsson; drums, Surjo Benigh; bass, Bonne Löfman; guitar, Pelle Lindh; guitar, Anders Larsson; keyboards & accordion, Martin Lood; trumpet, Bosse Gustafsson; saxophone, Martin Pålsson; Trombone, Mikael Westman; Lead singing and percussion.
The members have previously played with a large number of artists, such as Ulf Lundell, Jukka Tolonen, Dag Vag, Owe Thörnqvist, Totta Näslund, Stevie Klasson, Freddie Wadling, Pelle Lindström, The Refreshments, Jerry Williams, Lill-Babs, Steve Gibbons, Billy Bremner, Lisa Nilsson, Svante Thuresson, Bill Öhrström, Kenny Håkansson and others.
The basics for the new record were recorded in the Omnivox studio in Borlänge during a few baking hot August days.
– We like Omnivox. There is a nice countryside atmosphere. It has a great live room, large and high ceilings. We’ve got good takes of everything we’ve recorded here!
Peter Carlsson doesn’t like to be placed in a song booth. Therefore, a temporary installation of glass walls, blankets and mattresses was built. Everything was then recorded live with the vocals being recorded only 5 meters from the drums.
“Another great thing about recording in the Omnivox studio is that you can live there while working. It’s always nice to get away from home when recording. It allows you to work more focused, with no distractions.”
Peter Carlsson & Kjell Gustavsson R&B Orchestra are playing all over Sweden, usually to sold out venues.
– Yes, it’s great fun, says Kjell. Peter and I have known each other since I started playing drums in Peter’s band the Blue Frogs. And many of the other band members has known each other for many years.
– Surjo (Benigh) and I have worked together since 2007 and we have become a good team throughout the chain, from songwriting through recording to production.
How do the songs come about?
– Many songs begin as simple demos I record in my own studio, Släggan. Then Surjo and I usually meet up. We go through the songs and he provides his input. When it comes to the arrangements for brass, Pelle (Lindh, guitarist in the band) is King. I usually program the brass in Logic for the demos, the way I imagine them. Then Pelle has a look. He usually changes a lot with words like: “They have to breathe too, Kjell”!
Then when you go into the studio to cut the tracks, how much is already planned out?
– I would say that we are about 80–90% ready with the arrangements when we go into the studio. Things also happen as they happen when we are in the studio.
Plays around the country Now some gigs are waiting in, among others, Örebro, Stockholm, Uppsala and Sundsvall before Christmas. And the record that was recorded in August and September is already mixed, pressed and ready in October. How do you manage to have such a fast process to get your plates ready? Most people take a while, but you were done with the last album in a month … — We would play in Hofors at the end of September, then we must have the record ready, laughs Kjell!
Win a signed CD with Peter Carlsson & Kjell Gutavsson R&B Orchestra lottery!
All you have to do is fill in your information in the form below and send it in to subscribe to the Omnivox newsletter before November 10 and like Omnivox on Facebook. Winners will be annonced on November 10, 2019 and published on the Omnivox Facebook page.
I want to subscribe to the Omnivox Newsletter and have a chance to win a signed CD with Peter Carlsson & Kjell Gustavsson R&B Orhestra’s “Fifty fifty — vol 2”!
Kjell Gustavsson R&B Orchestra and Peter Carlsson online:
Order records and check out when Peter Carlsson & Kjell Gustavsson R&B Orchestra will play in your home town